Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I was treated with 131 Iodine over 50 years ago at age 14,

Customer Question
for Grave's Disease. I...
I was treated with 131 Iodine over 50 years ago at age 14, for Grave's Disease. I am now 71 and am hypothyroid clinically but normal according to my blood tests--I know that blood tests can be very accurate and very wrong when only one test is done one day! I am also a biochemist and medical technologist.
I am reading a book called STOP THE THYROID MADNESS working on learning more about the thyroid antibody testing and some of the new tests other than that one. Recently my thyroid antibodies have gone up--I have never had these tests done before and am looking for a doctor in Denver or Atlanta who can help me. One who is up to date on all of the issues. I also developed Lupus Erythematosis when I was age 26 and by working on my diet and other health habits have rid myself of that -having antinuclear antibodies normal again. Do you have any suggestions on a doctor I can go to?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2015
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
Find a doctor with functional medicine training.
They treat thyroid if the TSH is over 2. Generally speaking, and newer guidelines are supporting this approach.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician