Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

There, I live in Colorado and I am having trouble finding

Customer Question

Hi there,
I live in Colorado and I am having trouble finding a doctor who prescribes Actiq. I have been on it for 10 years. I am post stage 3 breast cancer, a double mastectomy & 9 reconstructive surgeries as well as lympodima & peripheral neuropathy. I am also opioid tolerant. My doctor closed his practice & has referred me to a new physician. However, the new physician is NOT registered with TIRF REMS and has suggested I find a new physician who is. I have called my insurance and the TIRF REMS phone number and they cannot give me any names of any physicians in my area. I have searched the web for many days and have called over 75 doctors offices and have even called many pharmacies see if they can give me a name of someone who prescribes Actiq & I've had no luck. Do you have any advice as to where to go next? Please help. Thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
have you tried consulting with local pain management doctors in the area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have. I have seen 2 different pain specialist. I waited over 2 weeks to see one of them and he was not willing to register. The other specialist was extremely rude & insisted I get off of all opioids due to the many years I have been on them. He didn't even take into consideration that I own a dance studio & was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer at the age of 26. I tried telling him Actiq works with my lifestyle as it does not make me "sedated" & only helps when mine pain spikes. It is very important to me to be able to be able to phisically "teach" using my body & taking a "pill" & waiting up to 30minutes is not beneficial for me. Yes, I have been using them for many years & have tried almost everything available but no other "medicine" allows me to enjoy the quality of life.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a number I can call or website I can search?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately there is no website you can search
you have to continue to call up pain management doctors to see if they are registered with TIRF REMS
that is the only way to know
do you have any other questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know of any doctors particularly in this state?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
actually I know a radiation oncologist at colorado
http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/radiationoncology/FACULTYSTAFF/Pages/BrianKavanaghMD.aspx
but I don't know if he will give you a prescription for fentanyl.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I meant, do you know any doctors that are registered with TIRF REMS?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
I don't know of any
but I would try the larger academic university cancer centers like univ of colorado cancer center
they most likely will have doctors there who are registered with TIRF REMS