Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been a time alcoholic. Now I have no interest in

Customer Question
I have been a long...
I have been a long time alcoholic. Now I have no interest in eating I throw up this nasty tasting yellow fluid in the morning. My stomach bothers me most of the day. What should I do we know the obvious quit drinking. I am not ready yet. Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
6/5/2015
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 3 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

Thank you for your question.

The yellow 'nasty tasting' liquid that you get in your mouth in the morning is most likely because of acid reflux.

When one lies down, acid from the stomach goes up into the esophagus and then into the mouth.

Taking a strong antiacid medication like omeprazole starting at a dose of 20-40 mg once daily before going to bed will help you.

If your symptoms persist you should be seen.

I would also like that you should strongly consider quitting.

Since you are a long-term you may need medically supervised detoxification. This can be done on an outpatient basis or an inpatient hospital facility. You may very well be prescribed medications to lessen the withdrawal symptoms from alcohol withdrawal. You must talk to your doctor or an addiction specialist before it's too late.

Let me know if you have more questions.

I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.

Kind regards

This session is open for any number of further questions or comments.
It is only when you rate me positive is when I am credited by the website for helping you out.
I would therefore appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Kind regards