Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Could I have any long-term effects after my hair was pulled

Customer Question

Could I have any long-term effects after my hair was pulled with such extreme force additionally for an approxmently 11minute durration. The results left severe painful tenderness raised welts on the occipital areas of my scalp for a good week. (as my hair is long & was in a bun)
Sinserly, Anna
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Yes, it is possible that there could be a long-term effect on hair growth from an episode of significant trauma. Sometimes, the hair can become dormant after a period of trauma. Actually, hair is always going through cycles of growth and dormancy, but only a small percentage of hair is dormant at one time. But after trauma, most or all of the hair can become dormant, and when this happens, significant loss of hair can occur. The medical term for this is telogen effluvium. There are other causes of telogen effluvium, but significant hair trauma is one of the causes.
Telogen effluvium will typically resolve over a period of months, but there are some cases that can persist for longer period of time. Since it typically resolves spontaneously, there usually is no specific treatment used, but in prolonged cases, topical minoxidil is sometimes used.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.