Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had colon resection surgery on April 23 for

Customer Question
diverticulitis. Due to my obesity...
I had colon resection surgery on April 23 for diverticulitis. Due to my obesity (I'm 5'10" and 320), I had to have a large incision down my stomach. I obtained a staph infection in the hospital, but now it's completely gone thanks to my local wound clinic.
However, last week, I noticed a pain in my right-side abdomen -- about three inches from my belly button and up a little. I remember it started hurting when I opened a window, so I assumed it was a muscle strain and didn't think anything of it. Now, about
7 or 8 days later, the pain is not subsiding and is getting worse when I move. The pain feels like it's directly below the skin -- not a deep pain like my colon pain was. If I press on the area even a little, it hurts -- but again, only under the surface.
It also hurts when I'm having a BM, although I've been constipated for the past two days. The pain is not constant, and I don't feel it if I'm perfectly still, but I'm worried because it's not subsiding. I have an appointment with my surgeon next week, but
it's hard to get an earlier appointment. Plus, she missed my initial staph infection, and I'm worried she will tell me this is nothing when it could be something. Thank you for any advice you can provide. Valerie
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
6/4/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 3 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
This is Dr. David
your pain in your abdomen sounds like the start of another hernia which can be due to weakness of your abdominal wall
when you have a bowel movement, you bear down and increase pressure in your abdominal cavity to help push your stool out, but this also pushes your bowels forward in your abdomen against the abdominal wall and if there are areas of weakness there from prior surgery, it can start a new ventral or abdominal hernia
you should see your surgeon next week and get an exam of your abdominal wall and ultrasound to check for early new hernias there which could be causing the pain
you have to work on softening your stools to prevent constipation
I know post op pain medications can often cause constipation and you need strong laxatives like miralax or senokott or fleet enemas daily to help soften your stools so you don't have to strain and push too hard with your bowel movements
if your pain gets worse and doesn't get better, you have to go to the ER right away as this can be a sign the hernia in your abdomen is strangulated and could lead to a dead part of bowel which can be dangerous.
hopefully your symptoms are not from another staph infection under the skin which is a small possibility.
let me know if you have questions.