Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

It is one oclock in the morning and every time i lay down i

Customer Question

it is one oclock in the morning and every time i lay down i get realy bad leg cramps
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Leg cramps could represent a circulation problem in your legs so therefor you may require a duplex doppler ultrasound of your legs to check the circulation.
If the circulation is okay, I would check your electrolytes in your blood i.e. sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphate.
I would also have your vitamin D levels checked as well.
Quite often low levels of vitamin D even with normal levels of electrolytes can lead to cramps.
If those are normal as well, then you have what is called as nocturnal leg cramps.
Tonic water, which is available over-the-counter, is something that may help with that.
You may also require medications like cyclobenzaprine to help relax your muscles in the legs.
So I would recommend that you be seen and fully evaluated for this to find out what's causing this and to give you appropriate treatment directed to the cause.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Kind regards