Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Irritation on lower left side of stomach no sharp pains

Customer Question

irritation on lower left side of stomach no sharp pains
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
The left lower side is most common area for possible development of diverticuli of the sigmoid segment of colon or the descending colon on the left side. If INFECTED then the condition is referred to as DIVERTICULITIS and that usually would respond to 5 to 7 days of combination of antibiotics such as Flagyl plus Cipro...
It could be that you may have only diverticulosis ( the presence of diverticuli only but not infected..)
Usually you would NOT be symptomatic at all in the absence of infection however...
Constipation is another potential problem that could cause discomfort. If it has been several days since last BM and you feel bloated then you may benefit to try a few days of Miralax ( over the counter and take as directed..)
I favor that you be checked tomorrow by your doctor if possible and especially IF you have worsening of pain, blood per rectum, fever, chills or nausea as well..
I hope that this information is helpful for you. let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD