Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My dad is taking aricept for is dement (for lose of memory)

Customer Question
My dad is taking...
My dad is taking aricept for is dement (for lose of memory) he is getting dizze and not feeling well should l stop this medication he seems to be getting worse
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
5/31/2015
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 3 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Aricept can cause dizziness as side efffect.
And this can be intolerable in some cases.
The medication can be taken before bedtime to avoid dizziness.
Also lower dose of aricept can be tried.
If none of these works, then yes aricept should be discontinued by his doctor.
There are other medications like Namenda ( memantine), Galantamine can be tried.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 3 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
I disagree
Worsening dizziness can be from many different problems, from heart disease, to another brain problem, medication effect, and inner ear problems....
and others.
Worsening symptoms require an exam.
We can not say this is from medication without examining him.
And possibly lab testing.
Call his doctor now, or take him in.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.