DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

From Hinesville, GA. I have a medical concern I need your

Customer Question

Good Afternoon, I am ***** *****es from Hinesville, GA. I have a medical concern I need your advice please. I am 63 years old, weigh roughly 98 pounds, 5'6" tall. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I had a bone density exam 14 Apr 15. This exam was compared to the previous exam done 2 years ago on 25 Jun 13. It indicated my numbers had deteriorated badly. My primary care provider called me in and put me on Fosamax, one pill weekly, and calcium supplements. I have been on Fosamax in the past but stopped. My pcp also put in a referral for me to see a rheumatologist however my army hospital denied the referral and opted for me to see the hospital internist. I saw her on 28 May 15. She had looked over my bone density exam and her recommendation was just to stay on Fosamax one weekly, take calcium, gain weight. and no strenuous exercise. This is my concern and keep in mind I am fully aware I am not a doctor. I was under the impression my numbers had really went down and I thought something more could be done than just a weekly pill. Someone who had just been diagnosed with osteoporosis would be put on Fosamax but my disease has progressed. I want to give you my numbers according to the radiology report and you will have something else to go on. Comparison with the earlier study of 25 Jun reveals a percent change of -3.8 in the AP spine, 3.3 in the left femoral neck, 0.2 in the right femoral neck and 1.7 total mean in the dual femurs. A statistically significant decrease is noted in the AP spine. This patient is considered osteoporotic. Fracture risk is high. This is why I really thought I would be given more of an option that just one Fosamax pill weekly. This may be all I need and that will be great. But if there is something that I should be doing to help myself for the future, I would like to find out what that could be. Any assistance you can give me in this matter would be very appreciated. Thank you so much for listening to me. ***** *****es
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Hello
I am really not sure exactly what your question is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My question is this, am I doing enough by taking this one pill weekly for my osteoporosis?? Is there something else I can be doing like maybe some sort of injections for treatment. If I was your patient, is Fosamax weekly what you would recommend for someone with my numbers.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
If you have not already been on foxamax, and failed it, it is a perfectly legitamate starting point, side effects better known, and a more known and established treatment.
There is no reason unless you are having fractures to do other wise.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Thomas, just received your email about your evaluation. Let me say this. It took me awhile to write Just Answer. It was not something I did on a whim and I knew it would cost me a little money - no problem. It took 15 minutes to type my medical issue so whoever looked at my concern would have the info to assist me. I received an immediate response from you it seemed like in seconds of me pressing the send key. I was stunned how someone could have had time to read and evaluate that so quickly. I had asked at least two questions in detailing my issues - why am I taking a weekly Fosamax - and - am I doing everything I need to be doing. Your first response to me was - I am really not sure exactly what your question is. I felt as if maybe I wasted my time in writing to Just Answer.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
As I understand your question, it is why fosamax.
Fosamax is indicated for the reasons I stated above.
It does not seem that you have read that post.
In addition to fosamax, weight bearing exercise.
Essentially this means daily walking.
Finally, correct nutrition, and a nutrient dense diet, which is a modified Mediterranean diet, has the most evidence for bone health.
Let me know if you have additional questions.
OK, so that is an initial answer….