Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was treated with iv elevation for colitis. Within hrs of…

Customer Question
I was treated with iv...
I was treated with iv elevation for colitis. Within hrs of first treatment I felt crushing pains in my legs. Although I told Dr about it it was not thought of as side effect. I've been home 3 weeks now and my entire body hurts like the worst flu ever. It's beginning to effect my gate and the pain is excruciating. My Dr doesn't have any idea how to help me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
It's supposed to say Levaquin not elevation
5/29/2015
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
For how long are you having these symptoms?
Have you had any tests for these pains that you are having like CPK, LDH, Aldolase?
Please let me know.
I got out of hospital 3 weeks ago so I've had these worsening pains for over 4 weeks. Yes I've had ask kinds of lab work which all came back normal
Have you had your vitamin D levels checked?
Don't know exactly which test they've done but theres been a lot to rule out everything. Have apt in morning and ill ask
Aches and pains like what you are having could very well be due to a low vitamin D level.
Therefore I would recommend that you have your vitamin D levels done.
This is not done routinely and must be ordered specifically.
I do not think that they must have done this test.
Also, I would like that you should have your calcium, magnesium and phosphate levels checked.
If you can request them to give you all the tests that you have had done that would be nice.
That way you can send all these tests to me as well for me to have a look at them.
So in summary:
1. You need vitamin D levels done and if those are low you need to take vitamin D supplements to raise your levels. Vitamin D supplements are available over-the-counter but if your levels are low you would have to take this vitamin at a much higher dose than the supplemental dose.
2. I would also like that you should have your calcium, phosphate and magnesium l
Let me know if you have more questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Kind regards
They checked to rule out and now they say I maybe have fiber myalgia but I didn't have it before the colitis and I've read other people's comments about what this drug did to them and I know it was the levaquin that has caused this. I just need to know how to stop the progression. I'm a widow living in the country and right now I can't do anything. I was very active and worked part time. Now I have insomnia,fainting,joint pain, muscle pain,headaches,dizziness,extreme sweating,my skin is sensitive to air blowing on it. I will ask for the test in the morning. Would low vitamin d cause all this?
.
Low vitamin D can cause all that.
Plus a low thyroid level can also cause this to happen.
It can also be a side effect of levaquin. But one thing that goes against this is the very fact that your symptoms should have improved by now because you have been off this drug for quite a while. But again it is still possible to be drug related.
Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion i.e. it is only diagnosed when all other conditions are ruled out.
Therefore I would not diagnose fibromyalgia now since you have not been investigated properly.
Please rate me before we proceed by clicking on one of the rating options.
Let me know if you have more questions.
This session is open for any number of further questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below as that is the only way I am credited here for helping you out.
Kind regards
Dr. SH
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician