Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My friend is having severe pain in his calf and he can't…

Customer Question
My friend is having severe...
My friend is having severe pain in his calf and he can't stand or walk on it. He assures me that he does not do any strenuous activity, but he isn't sedentary either.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
5/29/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 3 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
he could have a muscle tear or a severe muscle cramp in his calf
or possibly a blood clot there as well which can cause pain and swelling in one calf
he needs to go to the ER and get his calf evaluated right away.
low blood potassium levels can cause severe muscle cramps which are very painful and can keep you from walking.
foods like orange juice, bananas and gadorade and potatoes can add more potassium into the diet and help with severe muscle cramps
is your friend willing to see a doctor right now to get his calf pain evaluated before it gets worse?