Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How do I protect my husband from further infection and also…

Customer Question
How do I protect my...
How do I protect my husband from further infection and also protest myself? What will be the next step you would expect his doctor will try after 21 days. Will this eleminate the infection? He has been diagnosed with stenotrophomanas maltopilia in his
bladder following a protrate 'surp. He is on Levofloxacin 500 mg for a total of 21 days.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
5/27/2015
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 3 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD
Hello!
That is a frequently resistant type bacteria. I would advise that he have a repeat urine for culture and sensitivities immediately AFTER he finishes his current antibiotic...
Sometimes double antibiotic treatment may be needed or IV antibiotics..
He may in general reduce frequency of UTIs to tkae vitamin C 500mg twice day >> this makes the urine more acidic and less favorable in general for bacteria...
Some benefit in general to prevent lower GI and UTIs may be to take a daily probiotic...
Activia is one example ... many brands available...
I hope that this information is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD