How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65019
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been taking 10 Mg. Valium for about 10 years until

Customer Question

I have been taking 10 Mg. Valium for about 10 years until about 3 months ago when the doctor moved out of my area. I cannot find a doctor anywhere that will give me anything because my anxiety is out the roof. I NEED HELP NOW>can you help me please?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure what your medical question is.
We answer questions.
You mean you need to find a new doctor?
VAlium is not indicated for long term use.
What are your diagnoses?
Where are you located, city, state?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need a doctor that will prescribe something for me even if it is not Valium. I have wasted to much time and money trying to find one. can the Cigna Call Line help me by calling in a months worth of something to help me? I haven't slept in 2 1/2 months. I am miserable. I need someone who cares what I am going thru here. Please help me.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
No controlled substance can be called in: that is a felony.
You need to see the correct doctor, or if you are very bad, go to urgent care.
You have not answered my questions.
What diagnosis??
What type of doctor was giving you this?
For what?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had a very bad panic disorder all my life and have taken something on and off for over 30 years. A pain mgmt. doc was giving me the prescription; then said the state board told him he was not watching his patients that was on this medication close enuf so instead of hiring someone to do that he just stopped prescribing it and I cannot find a doctor that will give me anything.I have no idea where an urgent care facility is or even if they will help me if I go to them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am getting more anxious as the days go by and I don't know what to do. I have been calling doctors today all day and have not found one to even say they will see me.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Wrong medication.
The correct medication is an SSRI or SNRI and wean off valium.
A psychiatrist is the correct doctor.
What city and state, I will find you a good list.
And if it becomes urgent, in many cases, urgent care of the ER can get you started, and set up for follow up
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is an SSRI? and I live in Huntsville, AlabamaI have to have something to calm me down.....................I wake up if I go to sleep when terrible nightmares and just scared to death.....heart racing, crying. I don't know what to do at this point. the valium was also suppose to help with muscle spasms, and tension due to very bad back pain. I DDD, bone spurs, several types of arthritis and as well as being anxious I am hurting and wake up with one side of my body or the other asleep from something going on in my back.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Seritonin reuptake inhibitors.
These are the indicated medications, SNRIs are almost the same.
This is while tapering off the valium.
A psychiatrist would know well how to do this.
And you should be calling asking for anxiety treatment as decided by the doctor, not for valium, which will get you black listed....does that make sense so far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am calling asking for an appointment because I am anxious all the time---what should I be telling them?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
You should call a psychiatrist and ask to become a patient for anxiety treatment.
You should preferably get a referral to that doctor from your primary doctor but it is not absolutely necessary. You can go straight to the specialist.
Hang on and I will find a reliable list.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but I have had them ask what I have taken in the past for this and when I tell them, its like you said they will not see me. so if they ask what I have taken what should I say?It doesn't matter to me if they don't give me what I have taken in the past, I just want to stop being upset all the time.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
They will not ask that until you are at your appointment.
Arrange the appointment.
And simply tell them what doctors have given you in the past. That is the doctors problem not yours.
Here is the list.
It has other information as well, and it is up to date.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.