Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How serious is borderline kidney function? Is it curable and…

Customer Question
How serious is borderline kidney...
How serious is borderline kidney function? Is it curable and or is there a way to keep it from getting worst or any type of treatment
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
5/23/2015
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 3 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
I understand your concerns.
Borderline kidney function function means stage 1 or 2 kidney disease.
GFR is above 60 but below 90.
Usually this is caused by the dehydrations, current medications you are on.
Diabetes, hypertension, intrinsic kidney diseases are other possible causes.
So further evaluation with a kidney ultrasound, repeat blood tests, urine for microalbuminuria should be checked.
Drink adequate fluids and that may be the simple solution in most cases.
In case of other possibilities treatment will depend on underlying causes.
ACE inhibitors like lisinopril is known to protect kidneys by reducing protein excretion.
Also a low sodium diet is beneficial.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please click on Excellent service so that the website allows me to assist you further :)
Doctor: Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician replied 3 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician

Hi there,

I am Dr. Shahzad.

Can you please let me know what your creatinine level is?

Also if you can let me know what your GFR is?

Please answer the questions above so that I am able to give you a better answer.

Kind regards