Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have strained my diaphragm. Is there anything beside rest…

Customer Question
I have strained my diaphragm...
I have strained my diaphragm. Is there anything beside rest I can do for it?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/23/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 3 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
how did you strain your diaphragm?
what symptoms are you having?
does it hurt to breath?
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 3 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

If it is okay with your doctor you can take anti inflammatories like aleve or advil. It will help calm the inflammation

Other than this it will just take time.

I would avoid strenuous activity for the time being

If advil isn't okay then tylenol will help and is safe

This is Dr. David
hydrocodone pain medications and muscle relaxants such as flexeril or baclofen are much stronger than aleve or advil and much stronger than tylenol which most likely won't help.
I would see your doctor and get your diaphragm evaluated.
this is a very important muscle that you use every second when you breath
it is hard to rest this muscle
it would be a good idea to get a chest CT scan to check for trauma to the diaphram and muscle tears and possible diaphragmatic hernias to see if they are there
a chest CT scan would be better than a chest xray for this
let me know if you have questions.