Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Chronic coughing for 9 days - 1 trip to emergency and still

Customer Question

Chronic coughing for 9 days - 1 trip to emergency and still coughing. The emergency room doc gave me lidocaine for throat but still coughing & chest pain. I am also taking 800 mg ibuprofen - ineffective herbal cough syrup - hot tea and hot water. Oh what to do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Are you passing green phlegm?
Do you have dry cough?
Fever? Running nose?
Have you tried any cough medications?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No green phlegm/as I stated I have been coughing for 9 straight days & yes it is a dry cough/ little runny nose/night sweats-fever. Only cold med is an ineffective cough syrup that has not suppressed the cough after using it for 3 days.
Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.
The possible causes of your cough could be asthma or bronchitis. Also certain allergies can exacerbate asthma or bronchitis.
Cough occurs due to irritation of the throat tissues either by infections or by other irritants.
The commonest causes of a dry cough are viral infection, asthma, heartburn and acid reflux, postnasal drip, bronchitis, anemia and certain drugs.
You should take Antihistamines like Alavert 10 mg once a day.
Also you should do Menthol steam inhalation, As Menthol salts are available OTC, you can use them. You should do this three times daily .
You should take Robitussin Cold & Cough. It contains dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, and pseudoephedrine.
Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant.
Guaifenesin is an expectorant. Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant. It can be taken in dosage of 10mL with a maximum of 4 doses in 24 hours.
You should sleep propped up rather than flat. Also sip cold water from time to time during the day to dilute the acid and cool the stomach tissues.
You should get these tests done-
Chest x-ray, Complete blood count.
And in addition, a short course of systemic corticosteroid therapy may be given and has been proven to be effective.
Also Albuterol and guaifenesin products treat cough related symptoms.
Please consult your doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management.
Good luck and take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Two things that you would most likely require:

1. A course of an antibiotic
2. Short course of steroids because this cough has not improved with routine cough medications.
Consult your doctor again to have these prescribed to you and be evaluated further.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.
Please mention my name in your reply as there is one more expert other than me involved in this post.
Kind regards