Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 65 yr. old female on diakysis for 1.5 years. I'm

Customer Question
Hello! I am a 65...
Hello! I am a 65 yr. old white female on diakysis for 1.5 years. I'm trying to jump through all the hoops to get on the transplant list. At my second yearly testing I was told my CT scan of my chest showed broken glass syndrome. I was shocked as I have never heard of it before and I don't have an appt to see my transplant MD UNTIL THE END OF JUNE. Can you give me a general answer about treatment, mortality, ability to receive a donor kidney, etc.? Thank you, ***** ***** for any info you may be able to give me. FSB in VA
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
5/22/2015
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 3 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD
Hello!
I've not heard it referred to "broken glass syndrome" but rather a radiology appearance of "ground glass" >>> a quick search confirms that these are referring to same type finding..
It is an appearance such as on chest CT of lungs. It is not one disease but a finding t hat correlates with interstitial lung disease.( This means an inflammatory process of the c lung tissue outside the air filled alveolar spaces.
You would need to consult a paleontologist further for evaluation and management of this process.
It seems possible that the lung process could be connected to your history of renal disease. Certain autoimmune disease such as disease of Goodpasture's Syndrome may cause inflammation of both kidneys and lungs.( I am not giving you any disclaimer this as an example)
The finding of ground glass appearance of lungs is complex...
See below link for more detailed information;
http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/disease management/pulmonary/interstitial-lung-disease/Default.htm
The presence of Lund disease might impact your plans for a kidney transplant. IT becomes complex and this issue needs it seems a better handle on it. I can't say that this precludes you from receiving a transplant. The transplant programs take into consideration many factors to help produce successful transplants and overall success for you the patient...
I do not know the treasure that led to your renal disease and kidney failure but this finding to me raises questions to me that you could have an autoimmune disease...
I hope that this information is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
PS
If you should have further questions MEDICAL OR HEALTH then I would be happy to get back with you. You may reach me specifically via my profile page at ;
www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-anthonybraymd/
Best Regards!
ANTHONY BRAY MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor