Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have been stressed recently, in several areas of my

Customer Question

Hi.....I have been stressed recently, in several areas of my life...and I have been having ringing in my ears and my eyeballs seem to hurt, I took my blood pressure and it is 124/82. I am 61 years old, female, I have mitral valve prolapse.....is this a dangerous reading ??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Are you taking any medications?
May i know your age and gender?
For how long you have ringing in ears?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am 61, I take Metoprolol 50mg once a day.....paroxetine 20 mg once a day and Ativan as needed for anxiety......I am in a very stressful lifestyle....I live and care for my 92 and 97 yr old parents, but they have a care giver who does the personal needs stuff....I also have two part time jobs......and I am not quite over my divorce ( he left me for a much younger woman).......Gee...i sound like a MESS !!!!! but I have been having bouts of high BP this past week since I found out one of my jobs is ending.......I am wondering if I should be on BP meds ??

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.
Well, The normal range for blood pressure is-
Systolic should be Less than 120 and Diastolic Less than 80.
For Prehypertension- Systolic is between 120–139 and Diastolic between
80–89.
High blood pressure consists of 2 stages-
Stage 1- Systolic between 140–159 and Diastolic between 90–99
Stage- 2- 160 or higher and Diastolic 100 or higher.
When a patient is in Prehypertension stage, at this time, doctor visit is important. This can be controlled with change in dietary habits and with exercise.
You blood pressure reading of 124/ 82 mm of hg is good enough.
If on 3 consecutive days, blood pressure levels is in normal range, then doctor can withdraw blood pressure medications.
Decision, to withdraw medication, has to be taken by your doctor.
Ringing in ears is called Tinnitus.
It comes due to the damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear.The advancing age is generally accompanied by a certain amount of hearing nerve impairment and tinnitus.
Tinnitus can be due to any of these causes-
Allergy, high or low blood pressure (blood circulation problems), a tumor, diabetes, thyroid problems,
Side effects of Medications like anti-inflammatory, antibiotics, sedatives, antidepressants, and aspirin.
Ativan could cause side effect of ringing ears.
There are various group of medications, used for treating Tinnitus. These are-
1. Neuromuscular-blocking drugs
2. Antidepressants -It includes, Tricyclic antidepressants such as nortriptyline and serotonin reuptake inhibitors
3. Glycine receptor agonists .
Also, Alternative medicine treatments, including ginkgo biloba, zinc, magnesium are helpful. Along with this, Cognitive behavior therapy is found to be helpful.
Also, you should use these tips-
1.Avoid exposure to loud noises and sounds.
2.Decrease your intake of salt.
3.Avoid stimulants such as caffeine and nicotine.
4.Exercise daily, get adequate rest, and avoid fatigue.
One should avoid caffeine, alcohol. You should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.
Take healthy and well balanced diet. You should avoid smoking, and if you are overweight, then try to loose your weight.
Keep yourself busy in your hobbies.
You should maintain a good friend circle, and have a social healthy chat with them.
Also Exercising 3-4 hours before bed time is good.
Take Light food before bedtime. You should try to avoid watching TV, reading exciting books before sleeping time.
I know you are passing through tough phase, but with such above measures, you would be free from symptoms.
Also consult your doctor and discuss this issue with them.
Good luck and take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.