Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a dry hacky cough that keeps me up

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
How long have you been troubled by this cough? ( The length of time May help as a clue to possible causes)
You may try Nyquil at bedtime as that is more designed to help you sleep vs Dayquil...
Dextromethorphan is most common active ingredient for over the counter cough products. ROBITUSSIN DM for cough plus Benedryl 50 mg for sleep( or Unisom or melatonin)
Do you have wheezing?? Shortness of breath?? Fever?? Pain with deep breath or cough??>> these would be symptoms of concern that you may more need medical attention...
The more prolonged a cough even unproductive beyond a week would increase chance of benefit from antibiotic. ( short term unproductive cough is more often viral in cause..)
We do have to consider often other causes of cough such as asthma too..
Your doctor may be able to provide stronger cough suppressants--- Tessalon, Tussionex as examples..
I hope that this information is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD