Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a hemmoroid that seems to be getting larger over the…

Customer Question
Hi Dr. I have a...
Hi Dr. I have a hemmoroid that seems to be getting larger over the past 2 days even while I have been taking amoxicillin and using rx proctosol cream. I have intense bouts of pain that absolutely disrupt my everyday life. I cannot get any relief in any position during these bouts. I have tried Preparation H, recticare (lidocaine), and the proctosol as well as amox. 2x a day for 4 days. There is no doubt the hemmoroid has gotten bigger. I am supposed to leave for vacation in Mexico and planned to propose to my girlfriend. I cant seem to get any definitive answers. I have had a double hemmroidectomy about 5 years ago and recall the pain after surgery being brutal. Is there a chance this will go away on its own? It is getting bigger and causing inmense pressure and pain. Also, after the surgery I developed an anal fistula that would sometimes pop and dark blood would come out during BMs. It never bothered me much except for occasional minor itching about three days before it would release blood. The current hemmoroid seems like it is in about the same area or near it. I saw a Dr. who said it should feel better in a few days but since then it has grown and at times been even more painful. Some discomfort I could deal with but this is sleepless nights in the tub all night agony. Please help!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
5/21/2015
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 3 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Hello from JustAnswer.
Yes, there is a chance that this will go away on its own. The vast majority of hemorrhoids will resolve with time. There are a small number that persist and need surgery to get resolution, as you apparently experienced previously, but the vast majority resolve without needing surgery.
There are a variety of medicines that may help with easing symptoms associated with hemorrhoids, and you have already tried most of them. In addition to what you have tried, there also is good evidence to support the use of interventions to soften stool, such as with fiber or a stool softener like Colace. On the other hand, if diarrhea is present, it may help to use Imodium. If there is pain due to anal sphincter spasm, it may help to use either topical nitroglycerin or nifedipine. It also may be necessary in some cases to use a stronger pain reliever, such as a mild opiate. These latter options would require an assessment and prescription by your doctor.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Thank you Dr. my question however is what can I do in the next 2 days to relieve pain. I do not want to be stuck in Mexico with these symptoms. It seems that every answer is tentative. I do not take narcotics. I am trying to decide whether to cancel my trip or proceed.
All of the interventions noted above can help to relieve pain. Every answer is tentative because there is no intervention that works for everyone, and different interventions will work better for different people. In reality, most people would have had relief with the interventions that you have already done, as most people respond to lidocaine or hydrocortisone products. In addition, certain interventions primarily work when there are certain characteristics present, such as the use of topical nitroglycerin or nifedipine if there is anal sphincter spasm present. However, I cannot determine whether spasm is present over the internet, so it may be necessary to see your doctor to consider these options, as noted above.
As for whether to cancel the trip, that would depend upon when you can get in to see your doctor and try these other interventions, as well as the cancellation policies for the airline and hotel.
Ok. did you take the information about the fistula into consideration? So basically i just paid 35 dollars to talk to a Dr. who's ultimate advice is for me to go see a Dr. Not sure what I expected from a shakedown website but I should have known better. NOT SATISFIED. post this convo to show unsuspecting people in need of HELP what little help your website offers. Typical of a site that has you type out your issues in detail and THEN hits you with the membership policy. Automatic renewal=NO THANK YOU. Have a nice day Doc.
OK
It plainly states on the website if I am not satisfied I will not be charged. I would like a refund please.
no refund?
You can follow the instructions on the customer agreement, and you would have already received a refund. The most that an expert can do is contact customer service.