Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had 3 knee operations is less than a year and need a…

Customer Question
I have had 3 knee...
I have had 3 knee operations is less than a year and need a total knee replacement soon. My last surgeon has left to another practice that does not accept medicaid. I was prescribed oxycodone 30mg and my new surgeon can not give my that until I have my replacement done with him. What do I do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
5/19/2015
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 3 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Hello from JustAnswer.
When did you see this new surgeon?
When is the surgery scheduled?
Have you discussed this with your primary care physician?
Have you seen any other doctors for the knee problems?
I saw surgeon last week, and my primary care doctor for first time yesterday. He referred me to someone who doesn't take my insurance. My surgery will be either late July or early August. I have seen the three surgeons who did the work. The first two messed me up for the rest of my life. My last two surgeries were failed osteotomies. The pain is getting worse and worse.
Did you have a primary care physician before yesterday?
What type of specialist did he refer you to that does not take your insurance?
I have not heard back from my last request for additional information.
Although any doctor that sees you can prescribe the pain medicine, there are two primary options that would be more likely to do so.
First, it would be an option to consider a primary care physician, but the primary care physician that is most likely to consider prescribing opiates would be one that you have an established relationship with, which is why I asked whether you had a primary care physician before yesterday.
Second, if the specialist that is pertinent to the condition (the surgeon in your case) is unwilling to prescribe an opiate, the specialist that would most likely be willing to consider prescribing the drug is a Pain Management specialist. Your current primary care physician may have made such a referral, but whether there is a local Pain Management doctor that accepts your insurance would be a question for your insurance.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor