Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Diagnosed with pneumonia, was on z-pack and codeine cough…

Customer Question
Diagnosed with pneumonia, was on...
Diagnosed with pneumonia, was on z-pack and codeine cough medicine.
Can I continue on with another z-pack after finishing the first one,or
must I wait. Also, I have noise in chest when breathing, probably from lungs, worse when I lay down, is there anything I can take to clear that up?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/19/2015
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 3 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
No you should not do that.
The first z pak will last way more than just when you take the meds.
You should have a chest x ray at this point as well, and an exam.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

You did not answer my question about the noise from my chest or lungs and if there is anything I can take to alleviate that. Also, I did have a chest x-ray and they diagnosed it as pneumonia.

We do not prescribe.
That is really up to your doctor.
And it depends on the reason, which depends on exam.
If it is simply mucus, the an expectorant, and that can be found over the counter.
If it is because of bronchospasm, then an inhaler is needed. That is prescription.
Sometimes after a lot of coughing, acid reflux can perpetuate the coughing and mucus. In that case, it would be an ant acid.
Talk to your doctor about all three.

I did not ask, nor expect you to prescribe. I was asking for your opinion and recommendation, which, if you are a medical doctor you should be able to offer. At this point, I am no better off now than when I first submitted my question.

Did you read my last answer?
I gave you three possible reasons for your continued mucus, and the solutions.
As to the z pak, no it should not be repeated.
Since you are not better, a follow up exam is also needed.
What possible question is not answered?
Is there one?
We answer questions on the site.....
I don't see a question that has not been addressed....

My question, asking for your professional medical opinion, is: what

is the most likely cause for one to experience various noises in the

chest, or lungs, when breathing, especially when lying down? This is after taking the z-pack, codeine cough syrup, and albuterol inhaler.

You must have run into this in your medical practice, what in your opinion could be the most likely cause, and remedies available?

I'm sorry but that is not what you asked before. ["I have noise in chest when breathing, probably from lungs, worse when I lay down, is there anything I can take to clear that up?"]
To answer this additional point:
Mucus typically causes such noises.
They can sound like they are in the chest, but usually they are in the large airways, the bronchial tubes.
Any of the conditions I have mentioned can cause this, as they call cause mucus in the upper [larger] airways.
To be more precise requires examination with a stethascope.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician