Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife is 10 weeks pregnant. Her favorite food is filet…

Customer Question
My wife is 10 weeks...
My wife is 10 weeks pregnant. Her favorite food is filet mignon from Ruth's Chris, or other fine dining restaurants. She prefers her steak to be medium-rare to medium.
She has been told that this is incredibly unsafe for the unborn child.
Can you advise us on this? What are the true risks when eating at a better quality restaurant?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Medical
5/19/2015
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 3 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

there is a lot of controversy about this because there is a very small risk for a bad infection like toxoplasma gondii, a parasite that could cause an infection called toxoplasmosis and complicate pregnancy.

this parasite can live in rare meats and can be spread from eating rare or even medium rare meats.

the risks are very small, but not zero.

the best thing is to know your butcher and have them cut your meat fresh and cook it yourself. this is even safer than eating it at Ruth Chris which is a very good restaurant, but still, you don't see the raw materials and you don't know where the meat is coming from.

still best to cook your meat until done or at least medium and no pink.

let me know if you have questions.