Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have been taking valium for the last 15 years and I feel

Customer Question

I have been taking valium for the last 15 years and I feel my brain is getting used to it. So ever now and then I switch to xanax for a month or so to just change for a short time beause Valium is my favorite. Your thoughts.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I can understand your concern.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions
Valium (diazepam) is a benzodiazepine.It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.
Xanax (alprazolam) also belongs to the same group of drugs called benzodiazepines.
Its not a good idea to take benzos long term. These are for short duration only.Your body becomes dependent on them and sometimes tolerant so you have to keep increasing the dose.
You need to consult your doctor for the change of group of medication to avoid addiction & long term side effects.
You may be prescribed with specific members of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor(SSRI),atypical antidepressants, tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs).
Switching to the drug(xanax) of same family for a month for a change for a month or so & then getting back to valium may cause side effects.You may get withdrawl affects of the drug.
So I advise that you should make an appointment with your doctor & discuss the best option accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert