Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Re: taking Ambien and Hydrocodone together. I have had these

Customer Question
2 meds for years. Never...
Re: taking Ambien and Hydrocodone together. I have had these 2 meds for years. Never take them together. Now my psychiatrist is working part time. He says he won't refill the Ambien because I might take them together. I went to him at least 12 years ago for tinnitus that almost caused a nervous breakdown. But his treatment and meds saw me thru. What can I do as the replies below & your answers contradict
what I am being told.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
5/14/2015
Doctor: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD
Hello!
Ambien plus hydrocodone may have potential for additive effects to suppress the central nervous system.
Now potentially the two medicines may be used safely in the same patient BUY the potential for accidental overdose is present.
It becomes the judgment call of your treating physician. It is important that these meds are ONLY prescribed by one physician.
So you may discuss with your doctor. I can't predict what your particular doctor may decide.As I noted it is a judgment call. The lower the dose of the pain medicine the more a doctor may feel safe in prescribing the sleep aid as well.
Discuss this openly with your doctor..this is the best that I can tell you.
It becomes more difficult if you are asking a second MD to pick up Rx s for these type meds from a different doctor. That scenario tends to raise red flags as many people whom doctor shop use that very technique. So this could be an obstacle for you.
I hope that this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor