Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

64 year old female. CT Scan & blood test used to diagnose

Customer Question

64 year old female. CT Scan & blood test used to diagnose severe diverticulitis and thickened colon walls 4/20 /15 . Took ciproflaxin and flagyl 2 weeks . White blood cell count down to normal w/ second blood test but symptoms same. Bad , chronic explosive diarreah, stomach cramps, painful bowel movements and bleeding since April 20 . Taking more flagyl, bentyl and lomotil. Stool sample results not back yet from lab . Delivered last Friday. Concerned about lack of urgency on part of health providers. Saw ARNP Thursday. Appointment with doctor, gastroenterologist, June 2nd. No one has offered hospital admittance. AS THE HUSBAND , WHAT ELSE CAN I DO? We have good insurance.Wife has lost 20 pounds and is very weak. Can`t leave the house except to go to doctor lying down in van.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Most routine cases of diverticulitis are successfully treated with most often only 5 to 7 days of Cipro plus Flagyl. Her case is more complicated.
Concerning are the factors of her having lower GI bleeding...
Her 20 pound weight loss...
The ongoing illness for so long...
The ongoing diarrhea may lead to her being at risk for dehydration or electrolyte abnormals...
The chances are increased too that she may have C.diff...(that is a resistant bacteria increased by prolonged antibiotic use)
The more that you may perceive that she is weak, sick, not herself then she may benefit to be seen sooner at the ER...
She may be in need of hospitalization.That is a real possibility. It is a clinical judgment.
I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion. I will be happy to get back with you.
If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD