How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46709
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been burping and top of my stomach hurts

Customer Question

I've been burping and top of my stomach hurts
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

it sounds like your stomach is producing too much stomach acid.

excessive stomach acid can cause gastritis inflammation of your stomach and cause burping and upper left abdominal pain usually under your left lower ribs

you should see a doctor and see if you need strong stomach acid blocking medicaitons like nexium to help decrease stomach acid

you might need to change your diet to avoid foods which worsen stomach acid like sodas, alcohol, tomato sauces, oily and fried foods, eating large meals.

have you used any over the counter stomach acid blockers like zantac or prilosec or maalox or mylanta to see if these help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I took emetrol

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
emetrol is really for only nausea and vomitting

I would try taking 75mg of zantac once a day and also adding maalox and mylanta liquid antacids twice a day to see if this helps your symptoms

and make an appointment to see a doctor to get your stomach evaluated

and change your diet and avoid those foods which I mentioned earlier to see if your burping gets better and your pain gets better

some doctors would also recommend that you go to the ER to see a doctor sooner to be evaluated for stomach ulcers as well.

so you have a doctor you can see right away? or an ER close to you?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using