Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I'm taking Diltiazam Hcl Er 240mg and hyzaar 100/25. I also

Customer Question

I'm taking Diltiazam Hcl Er 240mg and hyzaar 100/25. I also had the enal April 20mg. BP seemed stable. Now off the enalapril, BP fluctuates 130-145/ 85-79. I've had headaches latest in front area, I'm 68 in good health otherwise
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
The recent fluctuation in BP can cause headaches as a manifestation.
So better to resume enalapril at a lower dose like 10 mg daily.
Or you will need a different medication if enalapril not tolerated well.
Please discuss with your doctor.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please click on Excellent service so that the website allows me to assist you further :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Poor response, was told the enalapril can reduce kidney function. No help with headache question, will ibuprofen [email protected] This is a gimmick to get more money,
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Since your blood pressure has increased, that can cause headache as body is still not used to that.
Ibuprofen can raise your blood pressure further.
So better avoided --any nsaid in fact
Tylenol is safe to use.
Enalapril is supposed to protect your kidneys --so reduction in kidney function is not seen in normal individuals.
Unless you have renal artery stenosis, enalapril will not affect your kidneys.
No gimmick, no neon lights --you get what you pay for --and this conversation is open as long as you want.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, my kidney function was reported as 48 but that figure for 5 years with no reduction. I just want to be on BP meds that give me more normal readings. Good physical shape all other blood tests normal. Headaches are up the sides above ears.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
See, if there is no improvement of your kidney function even afetr stopping enalapril, then this is not enalapril related.
However, as i mentioned earlier, there are other options.
Propranolol for example can be used to control blood presure as well as prevent headaches.
Best wishes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I'll only take Tylenol and the meds, and see if headaches reduce this weekend
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
very welcome
Best wishes