Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Lymph nodes on both sides of my neck fluctuates in size. Sometimes

Customer Question

Lymph nodes on both sides of my neck fluctuates in size. Sometimes the right is swollen and on fewer occasions the left. It doesn't hurt when i touch it and u can't see it because ita not that obvious. I've been having this for about a year now. Lately I notice that my thumb n the finger closes to my pinky have these small tiny dents in no particular patern. It only affect those two fingers on my right hand. Can u give an insight as to might be happening.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry for the delay, but I was away from the computer when the question was posted.

Fluctuating lymph nodes typically occurs in response to external stimuli, most often due to bacteria that enter the body, even if there is no active infection. This is called reactive lymphadenopathy. Sometimes, there are certain underlying conditions that increase the frequency of reactive lymphadenopathy, and in the neck, the most common would be allergies. Chronic allergy inflammation of the head will more readily allow germs to enter the system, which then cause the reactive lymphadenopathy.

Dents in the skin close to a thumb or finger is most often due to the underlying muscle pulling on the overlying skin. This is typically not an issue unless there are other muscle symptoms, such as weakness in the hand.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I didn't explain correctly but the dents im talking about are on the nail itself not on the skin.

Dents in the nails is most often related to chronic inflammatory conditions of the skin, such as psoriasis or eczema. It is also possible to develop grooves that may look like dents that usually occur as a non-specific response to acute illness.