Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I'm going to give you a quick rundown of my health issues. I

Customer Question

good morning my name is ***** ***** I'm going to give you a quick rundown of my health issues. I am 38 years old and I have Crohn's disease which I was diagnosed with when I was 21 years old at 30 years old I had to get a colostomy bag do to my colon being pretty much dead. I have also been a long term opiate user and just recently started using heroin I have been muscle in it because I do not have any veins. I have had and get and regularly blood check for hepatitis C in HIV because I am a syringe user and have came back negative. my last testing was within the last 3 months and it came back negative as well. the reason that I am reaching out to you today is that every morning that I wake up my feets and hands are swollen really bad and this is been going on for round over 10 years. my GI doctor at one time put me on water pills that had to take me off of them quickly because it dehydrated me because of my Crohn's disease. FYI I also have just recently just got out of the county jail I was in there for a little over 75 days. while I was in there I was 100% clean and free of any kind of drugs. and still my feet and hands swelled up every morning. I do notice that when it is warmer out is that my hands swell up a lot quicker and easier. I have questioned my doctors about this but they have never followed through with anything. now it's getting to the point where it is not touch my son to my and I can not touch my son to my pinky because my hand is that swollen up. there are times that even my face gets a little puffy. I try to watch my salt intake because I can tell that it does have a impact on how much my hands & feet swell but even if I cut salt all of the way out of my diet I still wake up every morning with my hands and feet swollen. my question to you is what is your opinion of why & what may be causing my feets & hands to still swell up every morning until midday and sometimes when I go to bed. I know that without you seeing me and doing test and blood work that it is hard for you to diagnose any thing but I was just wondering if I could just pick your brain of what may be causing it without you physically seeing me and doing the blood work. I am NOT overweight I only way around a hundred twenty five pounds and I am 5 foot 4 inches. I do smoke cigarettes and drink occasionally very occasionally. my blood pressure has always been very good never high. If anything my blood pressure has been a little on the low side. If you need any more info to help you on giving your opinion just ask. I have always been 100% honest with my doctors because I feel that if I leave anything out or not be truthful then how are they suppose to give me the proper treatment and right diagnose. Thank you very much & I hope that you might be able to give me some kind of opinion that I could use when I get my health insurance back & am able to talk to my doctors about. Sincerely, ***** *****

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

your prior swelling of your arms and legs could have been from excessive salt intake or low albumin production from your liver

have you had blood testing to check your liver and check your blood albumin levels?

do you eat foods with high salt content? processed foods?