Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Ive felt like i have to take a poop but the feels like its

Customer Question
Ive felt like i have...
Ive felt like i have to take a poop but the turd feels like its to big but then i have pooped out smaller rounder turds and ive taken epsom salt with water and tried enema but nothing has woked what should i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
5/6/2015
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Hello from JustAnswer.

There are several options to consider for this.

When there is a large amount of stool that is too big to pass, enemas are a reasonable option, but it frequently will need either several Fleet enemas or a larger volume enema, such as can be provided with an enema bag, even if the larger volume can only be given in small amounts at a time.

It also may help to use an irritant laxative suppository, such as a Dulcolax suppository. An oral product that may be better able to help would be Mag citrate, which is usually more effective than Epsom salt and water.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

would a glycerin suppository work or not

A glycerin suppository is usually not as helpful for a large piece of stool as is a Dulcolax suppository. However, if you have a glycerin suppository in the house but not a Dulcolax suppository, it would be OK to try the glycerin suppository.

the problem has been going on for a little over 2 weeks would the dulcolax still work?

all of the interventions noted above may still work if the problem has been present for 2 weeks or more.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor