Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I just had breast re-reconstruction after -laterals and

Customer Question
Hi there, I just had...
Hi there, I just had breast re-reconstruction after bi-laterals and reconstruction for Breast Cancer for about the third time and I have developed Edema and Cellulitis. I have been put on 500mg of Cipro this past Thursday. The infection isn't worse but it really isn't much better. I have some Keflex hanging around from the surgery and I am seeing the PS tomorrow morning and I didn't know if it was possible to take it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Medical
5/3/2015
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,

I understand your concern.

Cipro may be working but may not be clearing the infection fully.

You may need a stronger antibiotic like clindamycin.

Keflex will not help either.

So you may wait till your appointment tomorrow.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

The bacteria can be MRSA which is resistant to both keflex and cipro.

Still a wound culture should be sent for proper ibdentification.

It will be better to try clindamycing ad a third generation cephalopsorins like cefpodoxime orally.

IV antibitiotics also should be considered if possible for initial faster response.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist