Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I recently had the flu. Most of the symptoms are gone except

Customer Question

I recently had the flu. Most of the symptoms are gone except I have had a lot of sinus pressure and congestion in my upper chest. And coughing. Last night when I bent over I started coughing up a mixture of blood and mucus. It feels like I have a nose bleed but none of it is coming out of my nose could it just be a broken blood. Vessel and is there anything I can do to stop it ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. DavidI am sorry you had the flu recently. it sounds like you could still have a sinusitis inflammation of your sinus and you could have substantial mucous productionyou might need a course of antibiotics to help clear a bacterial sinus infectionyou might need a course of steroids to help calm down inflammation of your airways or bronchiectasis in your lungs.you could benefit from mucinex or guaifenesin to help loosen up mucous in your lungs to make it easier to clear outyou have to make sure you drink plenty of fluids and water.saline nasal irrigation can help clear out your sinuses.if you have spring allergies, over the counter antihistamines like allegra or claritin or zyrtec could also help your symptoms.if your mucous is yellow or dark or smelly in color, you might need a sputum culture of your sputum and mucous to see if it is infected and if you need antibiotics to treat it.have you been on antibiotics recently?do you have a doctor you can see about your symptoms and to see if steroids and antibiotics and cough medications like Tesselon could help your symptoms now?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, I have a different opinion. Steroids are not to be used when you are having bleeding.Steroids can make it worse. You will need a decongestant and vasoconstrictor to stop the bleeding. Over the counter Oxymetazoline ( Afrin) nasal spray will help very well. And over the counter sudafed tablets can be taken 2 tabs every 6 hours effectively. Do not irrigate the sinuses till the bleeding stops completely. Infection is unlikely since you do not have fever and symptoms improved otherwise. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. Davidfeeling like you have a nose bleed but none of it is coming out is a sign of a bacterial sinus infection.steroids will not make this worse.you need to see your doctor about if you need a course of antibiotics to help your sinus inflammation.do not use afrin for more than 2-3 days or else it can cause rebound runny nose and sinus inflammation.it doesn't sound like you have active bleeding at this point.bacterial sinus infections are very common after colds and flu since you have so much runny nose and sinus congestion, it is very common for this sinus congestion to get infected by bacteria and cause headaches and dizziness and sinus pressure.usually a course of antibiotics like amoxicillin or augmentin or azithromycin can help kill the bacteria in your sinuses and take away sinus pressure and help your symptomslet me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, I do not think you have bacterial infection. You should use Afrin nasal spray 2 sprays each nostril twice daily for next 3 days. Sudafed tablets 2 tabs 3 times daily for upto a week. That will help a lot. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5 stars).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions! This is the link to my profile: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. Davidpatients can often have bacterial sinus infection and not have fevers.Afrin only really works for about 6-12 hoursSudafen should only be taken 120 every 12 hours with a max dose of 240mg every 24 hours and it can cause you to have fast heart rate and can make you feel jittery.these medications don't help with your cough or mucous productionfor that you will need Mucinex.and possibly stronger cough suppressant.