Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Have a sinus infection tonight when blowing my nose some

Customer Question

Have a sinus infection tonight when blowing my nose some white substance about the size of dime came out do you know what it might be.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
When there is a sinus infection, a white substance draining from the nose is usually a combination of mucus and pus. When the infection is more severe, then the proportion that is pus would be greater, while in a less severe infection, the proportion that would be mucus would be greater. However, the nature of the drainage is not as important as other symptoms in determining the severity of the infection. The severity of the pain and congestion and systemic signs, such as fever, are better determinants of the severity of infection.
If this material is thick and difficult to blow out of the nose, it may help to irrigate the nose with salt water using a Netipot.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.