Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a college student with 8 am classes and I cannot sleep…

I am a college student...
I am a college student with 8 am classes and I cannot sleep at night. I don't even feel tired and I could b up to sometimes 4am and than have to get up around 6:30-7am to get ready for class. I have tried the turning the clock around, keeping my room cool (even though I tend to kick my blankets off at night so i turn on my heater so I don't freeze), and making sure that my room is completely dark. I have even put a blanket over my window because the curtains here still let some light in. This has been going on since november when I would be up studying for midterms. I do have projects and assignments due almost every day next week and this semester is busy for projects. I love my music so I have tried falling asleep to my music and putting a timer on my ipod to shot off. That doesn't work. I do know about insomnia but I don't like to say I have it until I get the facts from professionals first. I admit I am against the whole sleeping pill thing and feel that there has got to be other natural options but if not than I will try I guess. I eat a meal at a good time and I have tried having a nice hot bath or shower before bed because its really relaxing. I am out of options of what to do. It's 2:30am and I do not feel tired. I do not know what to do anymore. This is an ongoing thing night after night. My life has changed a lot since coming to college so I felt that could be something and also I am a worrier and all my thoughts and worries tend to play in my mind all the time. I just wish I could get back to my normal sleeping patterns like before I even started college. If anyone is able to say any suggestions or inputs I would appreciate it. Thanks
2/5/2014
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome to the live chat services.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please wait a moment as I read your question thoroughly.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Thank you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

so you have not tried any medications as yet?

Customer:

No I haven't as I felt there has to be other ways and reasons for me not being able to sleep and I have never had a problem with my sleep patterns until I started college

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you exercise?

Customer:

No I haven't since the summer when I used to run cross country

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you should try exercising before going to sleep for about half an hour to 45 minutes to see if that helps you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can try a mild over the counter antihistamine like benadryl 50 mg before going to bed for a few days to see if it helps.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should fix one time for going to sleep every single night.

Customer:

ok and what kind of exercises do you suggest since running around campus late at night is not a good idea or recommended.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have a treadmill?

Customer:

No, I am in a dorm and have a small room

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hmm

Dr. Shahzad MD :

any exercise that would make you tire. Could be skipping a rope or jumping or anything.

Customer:

I can't be doing any jumping late when we have to be quiet no later than 9 and some go to bed earlier than that I would be heard from the apartment down below

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Situps may be

Dr. Shahzad MD :

or push ups.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Something to tire your body down a bit.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Plus you can try taking benadryl 50 mg to help for a few days.

Customer:

ok so basically any quiet exercise that would tire me and I will try the benadryl 50 mg

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You certainly do have insomnia that is related to you being a student with disturbed sleep rhythm as a result of that.
If none of this helps then a sleep aid such as zolpidem (ambien) for a few days may help. This is a prescription drug which your doctor will prescribe.

Customer:

ok. How soon before bed should I take the Benadryl 50mg

Customer:

and should i take it before or after i exercise

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Half an hour to an hour before bed

Dr. Shahzad MD :

After exercise.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just after exercise or even before if you can finish the exercise in half an hour to 45 minutes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Customer:

could this insomnia lead to lifelong patterns since it started when the stress and pressure started to build up when I started college

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Most likely not. I think that you will be able to control it or get over it.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its something that is very common in college students.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Even I had it.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So you should be able to overcome it.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just need determination and persistence.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Develop a sleep ritual.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Stick to it.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Any more questions?

Customer:

I have told myself to try to go to bed no later than 10 but that usually ends up with my mind wandering and feeling frustrated because all I want to do is sleep. How much can stress lead to insomnia. I have had a lot of that especially when it comes to studying for exams and doing assignments. I feel likes there must be a way to over reduce the chance that my stress will lead to insomnia. I will definitely try the benadryl and exercise though

Customer:

I have told myself to try to go to bed no later than 10 but that usually ends up with my mind wandering and feeling frustrated because all I want to do is sleep. How much can stress lead to insomnia. I have had a lot of that especially when it comes to studying for exams and doing assignments. I feel likes there must be a way to reduce the chance that my stress will lead to insomnia. I will definitely try the benadryl and exercise though

Dr. Shahzad MD :

great

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just keep at it.

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Good bye :)

Customer:

bye

Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician