Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

My question is about overdose, but a litle background first.

My question is about overdose, but a litle background first. My daughter is a junior in college and made 2 friends 2 months ago in one of her classes. The 3 of them have been hanging out a lot and has been good. Yesterday, one friend texted my daughter and the other girl and told them she has tried to commit suicide by overdose. She claims she took 14 Tylenol PMs and 12 Oxycodones (don't know the strength) at 1pm. She's in the school colorguard, so made colorguard practice at 4pm. After my daughter finally found out where the girl lived, she begged them not to call 911 or her parents (on the other side of the country.) They finally got her to the ER at 10pm and at 3am they were told they might as well go home since the girl will not be released until tomorrow (today.) Somehow my daughter found out they had not pumped her stomach or anything like that. The girl called my daughter to come pick her from hospital this morning since she knows nobody else in town. My daughter is livid because she had to miss class to go get this girl who we think obviously lied about what she took. So my question is: if somebody actually took 14 Tylenol PMs and 12 Oxycodones, what would be the result and with what time frame?

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Customer:

hi

Dr. Natasha :

reading your question again

Customer:

ok

Dr. Natasha :

I am confused- what are you asking

Customer:

last sentence

Customer:

So my question is: if somebody actually took 14 Tylenol PMs and 12 Oxycodones, what would be the result and with what time frame?

Dr. Natasha :

well it depends

Dr. Natasha :

It is not enough cause fulminant liver failure

Dr. Natasha :

they often don't pump the stomach if it is several hours after ingestion

Dr. Natasha :

they give charcoal

Dr. Natasha :

check liver enzymes, tylenol level

Dr. Natasha :

repeat in 6 hours

Dr. Natasha :

and if better, go hom

Dr. Natasha :

home

Dr. Natasha :

the story sounds legit

Customer:

As far as we know, they didn't administer charcoal either. Obviously there's some psychological issues here but we're just wondering if she made this up or if it would have killed her.

Dr. Natasha :

no, it would not have killed her

Dr. Natasha :

but it does sound like maybe your daughter should not be associated with her anymore

Dr. Natasha :

you need to take a lot more tylenol than that

Customer:

We've already agreed on that!

Dr. Natasha :

ha ha!

Customer:

Ok, great. Thanks so much!

Dr. Natasha :

you are welcome

Dr. Natasha :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service? :-)?

Dr. Natasha :

hello?

Customer:

yes, indeed...thanks!