Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I checked my a1c today and it was 8.3. Do i have diabetes? i

hi doc i checked my...
hi doc i checked my a1c today and it was 8.3. Do i have diabetes? i also have been checking my blood glucose and i have never seen it higher than 150 during the day. My waking results have been 115 to 120 fasting. Im a 6'11 380 pound football player. I am pretty active but have been feeling a bit sluggish the past few days.
11/17/2013
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Customer:

ok thanks doc

Dr. Shahzad MD :

HbA1c of 8.3 is certainly on the higher side and there is no doubt that this points to the fact that you are most likely having diabetes even though your regular blood glucose readings are near normal although not totally normal.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If you really want to be sure about this all you can may be have a glucose tolerance test done or have the A1c repeated after a month or two.

Customer:

ok so after a month or 2 just have the a1c repeated

Customer:

is there anything i can do in the mean time ti help this situation

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes or have a glucose tolerance test done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Your fasting blood glucose is not normal

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its in the prediabetic range

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Plus you should do regular exercise and take care of what you eat.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

at least half an hour of brisk walk daily for most of the days of the week.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Reduce high calorie diet.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Try reducing your weight.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The more you reduce your weight the better your diabetes control will be.

Customer:

ok i see

Customer:

so is a 8.3 a1c really high?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its high.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Not very high

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But high for sure.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

No doubt about that.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should ideally be on metformin and take care of your diet. I am sure you must do a lot of running and exercise since you are a football player.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Metformin at a dose of 500 mg twice daily.

Customer:

yeah i do but i got hurt and i was out for a year so i gained a some weight but im back working out hard every day now

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Thats good, if you lose weight that you put on you should be fine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

your glucose and A1c will come back to normal.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would however still put you on a low dose of metformin.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

at least 500 mg twice daily.

Customer:

ok thanks doc i will check with my doctor also i apperciate your help

Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Dr. SH
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician