DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have been prescribed Avodart by my urologist. When I got

I have been prescribed Avodart by my urologist. When I got the prescription filled the literature indicated that the drug may cause aggressive prostate cancer. I'm sure my urologist doesn't want that for me, so I am trying to understand the caution that comes with the drug. Also, I found that it was very expensive and after doing some checking it appears to me that much less expensive drug called Finistrade does the same thing and has the same cancer notice. So three questions: 1. Why the cancer caution. 2. If I take the drug is there an advantage of Avodart over Finistrade? 3. My urologist said that I would have to stop taking Saw Palmetto once on Avodart and would like to understand why--whether there is a health risk in taking both, or any herbal supplement with the drug.
Hello
The problem is that it decreases the psa level even in one that might have prostate cancer....
Is this the warning you read?
Also this class of drug had an increase in high grade prostate cancer in one or two studies.
So they are the same in that respect.
I see no advantage of avodart
I see no specific reason that you have to stop saw palmetto. Other urologists do not stop it and there is not a problem with them being taken together.
There are no interactions listed in FDA information as to interactions.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much of an increase in percentage terms was there?

7%
Please do not forget a positive rating.