Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Ive been diagnosed with generalized anixety disorder and

ive been diagnosed with generalized...

ive been diagnosed with generalized anixety disorder and panic disorder. It came out of nowhere my senior year in nursing school ...last year. Since then, I have developed a tingling cold feeling all over my body. Sometimes it goes away, but very rarely. If it does go away, it starts in one part of my body like the tip of my ear or right above my eyebrows and then it works its way down. when it starts it is more of a warm/hot feeling then it turns cold. If i brush my hair or a breeze hits me.. it automatically makes me tingly. Just sitting in the tub with the cooler air hitting me makes me tingle. I also have vaginal numbness. I literally cannot feel anything during sex. My heart has been making me short of breath like someone hit me and knocked the wind out of me. I get these constant eye twitches. Is my anxiety just this bad or is there something wrong? MOST IMPORTANTLY- I haven't been put under a significant amount of stress for an entire month being I was on a leave from my job as an RN because I just couldnt seem to function at work. My new doctor seemed somewhat concerned as she ordered thyroid levels and tested me for vitamin deficiencies. She also is going to put me on a 24 hour halter monitor. What do you think this could be?

11/8/2013
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had your thyroid tested?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you had any other blood tests?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Please answer the questions that I have posted above so that I can help you out with your concerns.

Please do not rate me unless you have received an answer from me.

Kindest Regards

i just got the bloodwork done the other day and was told it would take 2-3 weeks for results. I just got to thinking about everything last night. Im just tired of this. Its debilitating and I am mostly alone to think about it because I dont go anywhere. She said that if my levels are off that it could be then reason for my anxiety. I am hoping they find something! I have been researching the possibility and I cant even begin to tell you how many symptoms match that, but they also resemble the symptoms of anxiety. I have trouble sleeping I cant sleep at all. Either I sleep and wake up every couple of hours or I am wide awake until 2-3am. I am constantly tired and can easily fall asleep. I can go all day without eating and it barely bothers me. I have to force myself to eat. I constantly get yeast infections that I cant get rid of despite taking medicine for them. They are very frequent. My urine is always cloudy no matter how much water I drink too.

I understand that you are in tremendous anxiety because of your problems.
I personally think that the lexapro and the valium that you are on are not helping you a great deal and that you need to have this treatment reviewed and changed if possible.
I personally think that most of your symptoms are due to your excessive anxiety and a panic state that you are in and the medications that you are on are not helping you a great deal and you need to have them changed.
Therefore I would strongly recommend that you should follow up with a psychiatrist for further evaluation of your condition.
Meanwhile I would also like that your blood work up should be looked at carefully but most likely it will turn out to be normal.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Kindest Regards

so you think the vaginal numbness can be caused by anxiety? I have heard that it can, but that is just hard for me to understand how.

it can be caused by anxiety.
The exact reason why this happens is not known but obviously is related to nerves with anxiety.
But we do not know the exact reason ourselves but one thing is certain that this is most likely related to your anxiety.

one more thing. I was recently switched to 20mg lexapro. Should I give this time to work? I just feel like no matter what she throws at me I cant get rid of the tingling and some other symptoms. The only thing that works is Klonopin but it knocks me out and I cant work like that. I will follow up with her at my next med appointment.

It should be given at least a period of two weeks to work.
So if you have not given this much time then you should wait a little and then follow up with your doctor.

I think its been a month or so now.. Well over the time. I still feel the same as when i started. My supervisor keeps telling me that my meds arent working since she has been in close contact with me since my leave. I often talk to her because we are trying to figure out my employment situation. She keeps asking me if I am even taking my meds. The only thing that's improved is the constant tearfulness and less panic attacks. Thanks for your time! I truly appreciate it! I hope I find an answer soon. I am doing all I need to do. It is just frustrating to be limited by something that most people can control. I am young and I worked hard to be a nurse.

I understand your anxiety and frustration.
You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Good bye :)
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Dr. SH
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician