Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have ibs or cic and took atrigger antibiotics a month ago

and am having difficulty with...
I have ibs or cic and took atrigger antibiotics a month ago and am having difficulty with bowel movements it gets to hard
11/3/2013
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

I am sorry you are having so much constipation.

you might benefit from having a bowel transit fluoroscopy study to look for Colonic Motility Dysfunction.

you should get a colonosocpy if you haven't had one yet at age 56.

you might benefit from eating more fiber or adding more fiber supplements to your diet, taking in probiotics, exercising and drinking more water, all of which can help constipation.

you might benefit from stronger laxatives like 1-2 cups of magnesium citrate to help your bowels move.

some medications can cause constipation and so this has to be reviewed. what medications are you on?

metformin,ramipril ,clonazpan and prilosec

metformin and prilosec usually causes diarrhea.

clonazepam can cause constipation. but you need this to treat your anxiety.

have you tried magnesium citrate laxative? 1-2 cups a day?

have you had a colonoscopy recently?

have you had a bowel motility study?
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

clonazepam for restless leg syndrome , had colonostopy 2 and a half years ago it was all clear with endoscopy I haven't had bowel motility study

I see.

try the other treatments for constipation I suggested. eating more fiber or adding more fiber supplements to your diet, taking in probiotics, exercising and drinking more water, all of which can help constipation.

try a stronger over the counter laxative such as magnesium citrate 1 or 2 cups a day and see if that helps

try eating prunes. that works well.

and if you are still constipated, talk to your doctor about a colon transit study to see if your bowels are working properly.

does this help?

do you have other questions?

thank you

you are welcome

best of luck to you

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician