Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have very sore ribs on my back, left side. I don't know if

I have very sore ribs on my back, left side. I don't know if I fell or how it happened. I'm concerned that it may be my kidneys: how can I tell which it is? and if it is bruised ribs - how do I treat. constant level 3-4 pain, when bend down or reaching it's a level 8-9. Thank you!
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Since how long you have these symptoms?
Do you have any discomfort in urination?
Do you feel pain on applying pressure on the site?
Is there any external changes on skin like:red-blue discoloration?
Is the pain constant?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since yesterday. no discomfort on urination. yes - pain when applying pressure also when taking a deep breath. no bruise or external skin changes. The pain is constant; unrelieved by ibuprofen. thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

since yesterday morning. no discomfort on urination but deep breathing is very painful. Yes, hurts when putting pressure on that site - no bruise or discoloration. The pain is constant.

Dear *****i,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
The symptoms you have described does not seem to be due to kidney disease.
This can be due to collapse of cartilage,ligamental tear or bursitis.The injury may had occur because of felling down.May be you are not aware of this fall.Bending and other positions aggravates the pain.
Other possibility can be of herniation of disc,degenerative changes,muscular spasm,nerve root compression,lumbar radiculopathy.
You need following tests:
-X-ray of spine
-Electromyography(EMG)
-Nerve conduction studies & Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)
-Ultrasound scan
Ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the icepack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore reduces the inflammation & hence you will get pain relief.
As Ibuprofen has not provided you relief from pain,I advice you to go to ER to have these tests done to know the underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Shots may be given for pain relief.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is a great relief; I was worried about my kidneys. I am awaiting my Medicare card so I prefer not to have the expense of an ED. how long should I expect the symptoms to remain? should I rest with ice pack or use it but go on with careful daily activitiess thank you!

Dear *****i,
Thank you for asking follow up question.
These symptoms may persists from few days to few weeks depending upon the cause.
Along with applying ice pack,you should have bed rest as this will enhnace the healing.So I advice you to go to ER to have the tests done to confirm the underlying cause & then treatment with prescription medications will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert

Hello.

I am Dr. Thomas, double board certified physician with over 20 years of clinical experience. I will help you with your question and any follow up questions you have.

You do not have to have urinary symptoms at this point for this to be kidney infection. Only an exam can rule this out, along with urinalysis, and you need this today.

It is not bursitis in the location you describe.

A disc is a possibility, but pyelonephritis, infection of the kidney, can cause pain on deep breathing as well, in fact, that can be classic, along with pain tapping on the area.

See your doctor today or go to the ER.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget a positive rating.