Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have been having some tightness/soreness in my left arm

since Sunday evening. (I...
I have been having some tightness/soreness in my left arm since Sunday evening. (I had been working in the garage and yard so at 1st I thought it was from that.) When it seemed to be more tightness and lasting into Monday & Tuesday I called to make a Dr appointment. The desk person told me Thursday, but booked it for Wednesday so they could not do anything for me today.
I am 44, over weight and I have a high tolerance for pain. I usually just wait things out to see how bad it is before doing anything. I took my blood pressure at a self serve machine yesterday and it was 128/71. I had 2 other "episodes" of tightness this summer, but it did not last long. Since this one seems to continue I thought I should get it checked out, but I was wondering what they would do. I have not been to the Dr for 3-4 years.
The pain/tightness does not stop me from doing the things I want to do. I walked for 1 mile on the track at the YMCA this morning. I notice it more in the morning after I have been up for awhile and when I am still. Nothing seems to make a huge difference with it. I take a multi-vitamin and recently started Garcinia Cambodia (sp?) to help with the weight loss.
What are your thoughts?
10/31/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

Just left arm tightness without any significant worsening with physical exertion does sound like muscular pain.

Dr. D.J. :

However there is a possibility of underlying heart disease.

Dr. D.J. :

But absence of shortness of breath, or worsening symptom with running make it less likely.

Dr. D.J. :

Since you have not seen a doctor for 3-4 yrs, it is still recommended to get a clinical evaluation with a EKG.

Dr. D.J. :

On a separate note, annual cholesterol and diabetes screen with blood tests, mammogram, pap smear are part of annual physical.

Customer:

I did set up a physical with my Dr for Dec. Do you think to do something soon? Today? Wait?

Dr. D.J. :

regarding the soreness, Ibuprofen ( advil) 2-3 tablets every 8 hours with food will give better relief

Dr. D.J. :

For now this does not sound urgent honestly.

Dr. D.J. :

Your symptom is not typical with heart disease.

Dr. D.J. :

However, in case the pain worsens, or you develop dizziness, shortness of breath, then Er visit is necessary.

Customer:

Can any food things make a difference? i.e. switched to a new vitamin this summer from the heath food store that has a smidge of caffine and boost for energy.

Dr. D.J. :

caffeine can cause muscle fatigue and hence more prone for cramps or soreness.

Dr. D.J. :

Ati oxidants like vitamin C, fish oil are beneficial.

Dr. D.J. :

Garlic, turmeric, ginger are also beneficial

Customer:

So just continued tightness in the left arm does not necessarily = heart issues?

Dr. D.J. :

correct

Customer:

Can you take too many vitamins or suppliments? i.e the vitamin already has vitamin C. Is there a better time of day to take things?

Dr. D.J. :

too many is not required --sometimes can cause toxicity.

Dr. D.J. :

vitamin C is water soluble and high dose does not create problem as body does not store it.

Dr. D.J. :

you can take any time but morning time is better to boost your daytime energy level.

Customer:

Can you get too much of anything vitamin wise?

Dr. D.J. :

yes vitamin A,D,E,K --too much shoudl be avoided.

Dr. D.J. :

one or two caps of regular vitamin should be fine.

Customer:

If you were me would just wait then until the regular appointment in Dec.?

Dr. D.J. :

yes I would if no further worsening.

Dr. D.J. :

Advil may be tried meanwhile.

Customer:

Thank you for the info

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Dr. D.J. :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent ( smiley faces), if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist