Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had pinkeye for three weeks now. After trying

I have had pinkeye for...
I have had pinkeye for three weeks now. After trying Simulsan , Broleen and Sulphasetamide, got Voltaren and Tobrex from a Doctor. Nothing is helping and I am going insane from the irritation, any help?
10/30/2013
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Pink eye is a virus.

Dr. Rick, MD :

The only thing all those medications will do is irritate your eyes and make things worse....as you have found out.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Stop using all those medications and use only artificial tears to soothe you eyes.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Here is some other home therapy you can also do that will help:

Dr. Rick, MD :

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production and the use of a medication called restasis to improve your tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it does, indeed, work.

Dr. Rick, MD :

If things do not get better in a few days you should, if you have not already, be examined by an Ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Stewart,
Dr. Rick, MD : Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
Dr. Rick, MD : Pink eye is a virus.
Dr. Rick, MD : The only thing all those medications will do is irritate your eyes and make things worse....as you have found out.
Dr. Rick, MD : Stop using all those medications and use only artificial tears to soothe you eyes.
Dr. Rick, MD : Here is some other home therapy you can also do that will help:
Dr. Rick, MD : It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.
Dr. Rick, MD : If things do not get better in a few days you should, if you have not already, be examined by an Ophthalmologist.
Dr. Rick, MD : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick, MD : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

Tks stopping all treatments definitely helped, but a visit today to the optomotrist reveals there is a corneal ulcer, so am off to see the opthalmic surgeon tomorrow. Did rate you and tks for the help.

Stewart,
I am glad that the ulcer was found so therapy can start immediately.
Corneal ulcers are nothing to mess around with :)
I hope you feel better soon.
Dr Rick
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD