Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My penis head and foreskin is itchy and red. The anti-fungal

Hello: My penis head and foreskin...
Hello:
My penis head and foreskin is itchy and red. The anti-fungal cream Canesten has reduced the severity of symptoms the last three weeks but has not eliminated the problem. This has been a recurring problem for the last five months. I shower twice a day with non-perfumed soap, I dry the area well and I avoid sugary foods. How can I get rid of the problem?
10/29/2013
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

fungal infections can sometimes take 2-4 weeks to resolve with antifungal creams liek Canesten which contain clotrimazole. you have to continue to use these creams for several weeks to get rid of a fungal infection. 3 day is not enough for an antifungal treatment.

are you retracting your foreskin completely behind the head of the penis to wash under the foreskin as well?

Yes I do retract foreskin completely.

I have been using Canesten for 3 weeks, not 3 days. I have rarely felt itchy or bothered while using it, but the penis head and foreskin still look blotchy and/or reddish.

Would Diflucan (fluconazole) be more effective or could this be a bacterial infection rather than a fungal infection, and thus must be treated differently?

if reddish and blotching are not horrible symptoms

if it is still itchy and red, then most likely not a fungal infection if you have used it for 3 weeks.

could be dry skin dermatitis or bacterial infection.

I would stop the antifungal cream and see if it gets better on its own.

sometimes using too much cream can irritate the area worse

I don't think it's dry skin dermatitis but it could be bacterial infection.

How would I treat a bacterial infection - is there a different cream I would have to apply?

Thanks.

you should get the area cultured by a doctor to find out what bacterial infection is going on and what antibiotic cream it is sensitive to. some bacterial infections are resistant to certain antibiotics. picking an antibiotic cream without knowing the organism can cause unncessary treatment and eventually can lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria. there are many types of antibiotic creams such as neosporin, bacitracin, mupirocin, clindamycin cream, gentamycin topical.

do you have a doctor you can see who can culture the area and see what bacterial infection is going on there?
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician