How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9126
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a constant ache in my ribs directly under my

This answer was rated:

I have had a constant ache in my ribs directly under my breast on my left side for about 5 days. I have had this pain occasionally in the past but its come and gone, but now it's stayed. I was wondering what it could be and what organs are under there? thank you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :


Dr. P. Jyoti :

This is most likely from acid peptic disorder, which can include gastritis, acid reflux, duodenal or gastric ulcer, etc.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

This is something for which you must show your doctor. You need to be examined for this. Liver, spleen or pancreatic disorders can also cause this, along with lesions in the intestines.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

An ultrasound of the abdomen will help in diagnosis - discuss this with your doctor.

For now, take a Prilosec 20 mg cap (OTC) and an antacid like Mylanta which will help in case of acid peptic disorder. Also regulate your diet - small light meals, avoid heavy fried foods, avoid smoking and drinking, excessive caffeine in coffee and cold drinks.

But show your doctor as soon as possible,

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.


Could this be caused by a pulled muscle?


Would the pain from stomach issues sometimes go across to the right side and around the back?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes it could also be from a pulled muscle

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this will give relief if it is a pulled muscle

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do gentle stretching exercises, also use a hot water botthle on the area

Dr. P. Jyoti :

pain going upto the back could be from pancreatitis,

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but acid peptic disorder, etc will also cause a pain like this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have it looked up so that you have an early diagnosis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

How are you doing now? Did you see your doctor? I would like to follow up with you on this, do write back to me when you have seen your doctor.

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, because the survey is actually very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just 'request' me or put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly

I would be honored to be included in your list.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your follow up. I have seen 3 doctors for this since asking you the question and none of them can agree on what it is!! So frustrating. One doctor said as there was no soreness when pressing on any of my organs, so then it was muscle strain, a week later another doctor said she couldn't find anything wrong but would guess stomach ulcer/inflammation and my 3 rd consultation with another doctor said it could be my spleen and has arranged for me to see a haematologist. So still feeling odd pains/irritations but no answers. Sometimes the area feels as if it's swelling up and makes my bra feel tight. Does that give you anymore clues? Thank you again for your help and concern.
There are two other possibilities that you need to consider.

One is Fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia typically presents with diffuse pain all over the body. But sometimes it can present as a cramping pain located to one site of the body only.

The second is that this is a health anxiety. Health anxiety related to stress/anxiety can often produce isolated pains which are difficult to diagnose.

Anti-anxiety drugs will help in both of these conditions. Discuss with your doctor about using anti anxiety drugs.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The doctor has put me on anti anxiety medication, so we shall see how that goes. Would there be any simple blood tests that you could suggest that would rule out anything serious? Thanks