Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a sudden severe pain in the big toe which does not

last over 5 minutes at...
I have a sudden severe pain in the big toe which does not last over 5 minutes at a time. This pain seems to be a shooting pain going up or down the big toe. Happens mostly at night but will also get it during the day. It almost feels as if it will start to do it again at times but doesn't. There is no swelling, no redness. It seems to be happening more tho.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/26/2013
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long you have this?

Customer:

It has been bothering me off and on for a couple yrs. Dr. told me it wasn't gout because I had no redness or swelling.

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have any diagnosed medical problem?

Dr. Hasan :

Any numbness or tingling in the big toe?

Customer:

Yes, Arthritis, pacemaker, afib, I take metformin. No, tingling in the big toe

Dr. Hasan :

Any tests done to get to the cause so far?

Customer:

I eat way too much sugar.

Customer:

No.

Customer:

I have sleep apnea which has just been found.

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Dr. Hasan :

Sudden severe shooting pain mostly is related to nerves. Your pain can be due to some compression of the nerve supplying your big toe.

Dr. Hasan :

This is not related to any of your diagnosed medical problem.

Customer:

From where. My back. I do have a sore hip from time to time and a sore knee on the same side.

Dr. Hasan :

I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC tab aleve twice daily can be tried and massage of the area with OTC bengay twice daily also helps.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it can be in your lower back, your hip or even down.

Dr. Hasan :

To determine the site of compression, you need to see an orthopedic surgeon who must do nerve conduction studies.

Customer:

I know since it started bothering me this time I have been hurting in the knee and back and hip.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes then nerve compression is most likely cause of your pain.

Customer:

Is it something that will just go away instead.

Customer:

Or what I mean is can I get by without surgical treatment.

Dr. Hasan :

Initially anti inflammatory tablets are used and if they fail then physical therapy and if it fails then next step is steroid injection at the site of compression. If all this fails then finally surgery is done to relieve the compression.

Customer:

I also have heal spurs on that foot. Forgot about that.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes but heal spur is not related to this pain.

Customer:

anti inflammatory is not something I can take. I also take pradaxa.

Dr. Hasan :

Then you can take tylenol.

Customer:

Ok yes I can take that. I had a pain pill at one time but am not fond of them.

Dr. Hasan :

Your doctor however can give you pain killers and anti inflammatory that can be taken with pradaxa.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes i can understand.

Customer:

I think I will have to go get some meds. if it continues.

Dr. Hasan :

yes but going to orthopedic and getting it investigated is must.

Dr. Hasan :

Bengay cream can help you too.

Customer:

I was really hoping that would not be necessary.

Customer:

I have some aspricream which I will use tonight for sure.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry but it is required as your problem is there for few years.

Dr. Hasan :

yes that is same as bengay.

Customer:

I understand that.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please.

Customer:

I believe that I know what to do. I do have an apt with a foot Dr. before long. He would not be the same type though.

Customer:

My family Dr. always sends me where ever she thinks I need to go too. Can't get in any more without that referral.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes do visit him but best person is orthopedic surgeon.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you must talk to her to convince her.

Customer:

She does a lot with arthritis and elderly so I think she will probably figure me out and go with what ever I tell her.

Dr. Hasan :

That's good. My best wishes and prayers will be with you. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

Thanks much! I need to go back to the surgeon anyway as I have a hand problem that I was blessed with by my ancestors where my fingers are pulling in ward. Suppose that is the same surgeon who can help me with my toe.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes the same surgeon can help you with hand issue.

Customer:

I do appreciate your being here. I have information now and feel like it is not gout as all friends tell me it has to be. And your answer makes more sense as it doesn't hurt like gout is supposed to. Thanks again.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes gout is not possible because gout pain stays there for days.

Dr. Hasan :

You are always welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you all the best for a healthy life :)

Customer:

Thank you. Something we all want!

Dr. Hasan :

Yes very true.

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor