How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Robert Your Own Question
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Robert is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an infection on the outside of my penis on the

This answer was rated:

I have an infection on the outside of my penis on the foreskin what can this be and what step can I take to cure this infection?
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
What is your age?
Since how long you have this infection?
Have you recently had sexual intercourse?
Do you have any history of high blood sugar?
Any tests done so far?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am 59. I have had this infection about 2 weeks. Sexual intercouse has been about a month. I do suffer with high blood but medicaticated. No tests done

Dear *****,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.
The infection on the outside of your penis on the foreskin you are having since last 2 weeks seems to be due to a condition called balanitis.It is the inflammation of the skin covering the head (glans) of the penis.Its possible causes are:diabetes,unhygenic conditions and tight foreskin lead to irritation by smegma,seborrhoeic dermatitis,contact allergy and other generalized skin conditions.
High blood sugar/diabetes is one of the commonest cause of balanitis.
As in most cases the cause is anaerobic bacteria,simple exposure to air and local cleansing is most often effective.
The Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream you have tried contains only corticosteroid & hence relieves the inflammation & pain & does not cure the infection(the root cause).
You need to apply ointment ultramide or ointment polysporin.It contains antibiotic & will cure the infection.It is available as over the counter(OTC) without prescription & will help you greatly.
If still the symptoms persists,then you need to consult your doctor for tests & examination as then oral antibiotic medications will be prescribed accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Tommy
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Have you applied the ointment described?
Has the infection cured or do you still have the symptoms?
Let me know,