IntegrativeMD
IntegrativeMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Family Medicine physician with special expertise in Integrative Medicine.
29909037

my son 9 years old took 70mg of fluoxetine instead of his 10

my son 9 years old took 70mg of fluoxetine instead of his 10 mg dose (took the rest of the bottle instead of 1). I made him throw up the best he could within the first 10 minutes of swallowing them and I could only see parts of the green covering. Will this need further medical attention?

IntegrativeMD :

Are you sure it was only 70mg?

IntegrativeMD :

How much does your son weigh?

Customer:

yes 70mg and he weighs 76 pounds

IntegrativeMD :

In general the SSRI medications such as fluoextine are one of the safer anti-depressant medications to overdose on if you had to pick one. Your son did technically overdose, but just barely. The maximum pediatric dose is usually 60mg. Usually the effects of overdose are when people have taken much more usually multiple grams not milligrams. That being said I will list out a few things to watch out for...

IntegrativeMD :

If he complains about seek medical care immediately
1. palpitations or his heart racing
2. if he has any seizures or changes in his muscle tone
3. if he has fevers or any changes in his mental status.
4. if he develops nausea or vomitting

IntegrativeMD :

All of that being said the safest thing to do would be to have him seen in an emergency department where they can do an EKG (electrocardiogram) and observe him for a short term. Especially if you have any doubt about how many he took or if there is any possibility he could have also taken something else.

IntegrativeMD :

Also I would not encourage him to throw up any more or in the future. We have found that this rarely works very well and that it can sometimes cause more problems.

IntegrativeMD :

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Customer:

I will take him to seek treatment Thank you!

IntegrativeMD :

Your welcome.

IntegrativeMD :

If you do not have any further questions please leave feedback and close the question. Thanks.