Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had what began as a slight elbow pain. However, over

the past 3 months or...
I have had what began as a slight elbow pain. However, over the past 3 months or so, it has gotten progressively worse. The skin from the elbow to about 10cm out on the large forearm muscle is very sensitive and painful to touch, though nothing can be seen (though the area was slightly red this morning)Any physical exertion of the arm causes pain.Any tips appreciated. 48 y.o. male, slim.
10/25/2013
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.
Ever have a rash in this area?

No. No rash. Small scar from road rash of a motorcycle accident about 3 years ago.

could it be a pinched nerve at the elbow?

The pain is not sharp. It does increase in intensity as the arm is strained harder. Even shaking my hand causes pain. However, as the skin is very sensitive, I doubt the nerve possibility.

It has to be a nerve Chris.
This is the only explanation of the sensitivity to touch.
Any neck problems?

No neck problems.

Still, I've had a pinched nerve; that pain was sharp. This is different. And started slowly, and keeps getting worse.

The pain is focused and much more intense in the area adjacent to that bone that sticks out, toward the ribs. Very painful from bone to about 1cm out (in the direction of the hand) then decreasing in sensitivity.

Does it feel like a burn almost?

No. It feels like when one presses a bruised or injured area. It wouldn't concern me, were it not getting progressively worse. I've searched numerous forums and sites, but have found nothing that really matches my symptoms.

I am no hypochondriac, and have (possibly foolishly) not seen a physician in years. But, I am becoming concerned.

any injury to trigger it?

Nothing I can think of. As I said, about 3 years ago, a motorcycle fall; no fractures, just some road rash. Nothing recent at all.

As I'm now curiously prodding, the pain is definitely focused on that bone; if i hold my hand to my shoulder such that the bone protrusion is not seen, pressing just 5-15mm from that bone is definitely the focus.

Some sort of arthritis maybe?

BTW - I appreciate your patience and diligence.

Thanks Chris
I must say that this is unusual without any specific injury.
It seems to be focused in the bone in the forearm...the radius
It could be a growth on the bone like a chondroma.
I would start with xrays.
Another possibility is CPRS. complex regional pain syndrome. This is a nerve problem related to prior injury.
Here's an article on it.
I would start with xrays though.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/complex-regional-pain-syndrome/DS00265

The link does seem to cover it. Unfortunately.

As I have no health coverage, could you suggest how I can get an x-ray most economically?

Urgent care
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
I appreciate the excellent rating.
I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/
I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor