Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Originally dx with hyperparathyroidism. pth level 99.

Originally dx with hyperparathyroidism. pth level 99. Ultrasound and sestamibi scan done showed unspecified but they saw something left inferior and so surgery was scheduled. Repeat pth prior to scheduling surgery and pth level was 64. Dr. said she would need me to see an endocrinologist before surgery. Is it possible I will still require surgery?
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

what did they see on Ultrasound and scan? was it a lump?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message.

Customer:

They saw a few things-nodule on the lower inferior section of my thyroid scan, 2 cysts in the lower lobe of thyroid. The sestamibi scan evidently showed the same thing as the ultrasound.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i see you are typing, i will wait for your response

Customer:

The surgeon wants me to see an endocrinologist but it seems that perhaps this will be delaying the inevitable--not sure what causes the change in the pth level

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am an ENT specialist and well versed in this disorder

Customer:

great!

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i would say, with the ultrasound and sestamibi scan both showing a nodule on the lower border, this is something for which surgery is needed

Dr. P. Jyoti :

your initial rise of PTH is highly suspicious

Customer:

That's what I am thinking.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

although it has come to normal now, i would not cancel the surgery

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is best to go through with the surgery as you cannot risk having a PTH tumor remaining there

Customer:

Ok. I appreciate your time. Do you think I should encourage my surgeon to draw another pth level? I can't get in to see the endocrinologist until December. I also failed to tell you I have osteoporosis although I appear extremely well fit.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

three findings are confluencing here - rise of PTH, node on US, node on Sestamibi

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i dont thing thats necessary at this stage

Dr. P. Jyoti :

wait for the endocrinologist

Customer:

Ok. Thank you!

Dr. P. Jyoti :

endocrinologist will probably go for PTH levels anyway

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer.
I am very pleased that I was able to help you.
You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, because the survey is actually very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.
If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just 'request' me or put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.
It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.
JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly
I would be honored to be included in your list.
Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.